1. Start the day off right. Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. It gives you energy to attack your day and staves off the mid morning hunger and fatique. Milk is a great breakfast go-to - try a smoothie with milk, fruit and ice, a whole grain cereal with milk, or even just a glass of milk on the run. It fills you up and provides essentail nutrients to keep you going all day.
2. Healthy snacking isn't just ok, its essential. A glass of milk, a container of non-fat yogurt, a piece of fruit, or handful of nuts willl fight off hunger and unhealthy food choices.
3. Any exercise is better than no exercise. Even if you don't have time to hit the gym, use the stairs, park far away from your destination, jump rope in front of the TV, walk your dog - or the kids - this all counts! Try to build up to 30 minutes a day or about 3,000 steps (if you use a pedometer).
4. The freezer is your best friend. Make a double batch - make it once, enjoy it twice, three times, four times.....You can freeze almost anything - whole grain muffins, soups, casseroles - and save some time later.
5. Drink, drink, drink. Shoot for eight 8-oz. glasses of water each day to keep your system going and fill you up.
6. Keep healthy snacks in your purse, desk or car to avoid drive through or vending machine temptations. Dried fruit, nuts, string cheese, and fruit are all good chioices.
7. Forewarned is forearmed when it comes to going to a cocktail party. Prepare yourself to face fattening hors doeuvres by having a small snack before you head out the door - good choices are whole grain cereal with milk, a handful of nuts, an apple with peanut butter, or even a glass of milk in the car!
8. Restaurant rules. Immediately divide your plate in half, eat half, and take home a doggie bag for the next day's lunch or dinner. Skip the bread basket and get your salad dressing on the side. If you are dying for dessert, split with one or two (or more!) friends.
9. Never eat from your kid' plates or leftovers. Make it a rule. Now.
10. If you don't buy it, you won't eat it. Keep unhealthy snacks out of the house and stick to the perimeter of the grocery store when you do your shopping which is where the produce, deli and dairy resides.