- 1 bag frozen crinkle cut or waffle fries
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for liberal drizzling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, 1/4 chopped, the rest thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 bottle Molson or other Canadian beer
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tuna steaks (6-8 ounces each), cut into large chunks
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3/4 cup pitted Nicoise olives
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 tin flat anchovy fillets (2 ounces), drained
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (can be found prepared at the salad bar counter at the grocery store), chopped
- 8 leaves leaf lettuce
- 4 large crusty rolls, split in half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
Place fries on cookie sheet to bake. Bake according to package directions, 18 minutes.
Heat a small saucepot over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon EVOO and 1 tablespoon butter. Add Canadian bacon, the chopped quarter of the red onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, add flour, cook a minute, then whisk in the beer and then the stock. Season with salt and pepper and thicken over low heat.
Place an inch of water in a skillet and bring to a boil.
Place tuna in a food processor and coarsely chop, then remove and transfer to a bowl. Add herbs and half of the lemon zest, then season with salt and pepper and combine. Form four large patties and reserve on a plate in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
To the boiling water, add some salt and the green beans. Cook 5 minutes, then cold-shock the beans under cold, running water. Drain and reserve.
Wash the food processor bowl and return to base. Place olives, capers, anchovies, remaining lemon zest and a drizzle of EVOO in the processor and process into a smooth paste.
Combine the green beans with tomatoes and the thinly sliced onion. Dress salad liberally with EVOO, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Top with the chopped hard boiled eggs.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook tuna burgers 3 minutes on each side for rare, or 6 minutes on each side to cook through completely. Spread black olive paste on the rolls and top each burger with leaf lettuce. Serve the green bean salad alongside.
Remove fries and place in small bowls. Top with mozzarella and pour gravy over top.