- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or wok oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1/2 cup store-bought shredded carrots (a couple of handfuls), available in pouches in produce section
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
Bring water to a boil. Add rice and then reduce heat. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until tender, 15-18 minutes. Spread rice out on a cookie sheet to quick cool it.
Heat a wok, a wok-shaped skillet or a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add oil to the pan. Add egg to hot oil and break into small bits as it scrambles. When eggs are scrambled, add garlic and ginger to the pan. Add carrots, pepper and scallions to the pan and quick stir fry the veggies for 2 minutes. Add rice to the pan and stir fry rice with veggies for 2-3 minutes. Add peas and Tamari to the rice and stir fry 1 minute more; then serve.