- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 inch thick
- 2 onions, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- One chicken or vegetable broth ( 32-ounce, 4 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- One can crushed tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 3 large roasted red peppers
- 4 thick slices crusty whole grain bread
- large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
In a medium soup pot, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onions, rosemary and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7-8 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, 6-8 minutes. Add the kale in batches and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
Using a food processor or a mini chopper, puree the roasted peppers. Stir the pureed peppers into the soup pot, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
Meanwhile, pre-heat the broiler; toast the bread, rub with the garlic halves and top with the cheese. Melt the cheese under the broiler for 1 minute. Serve the stoup with the toasts.