- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound uncooked sweet Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced (reserve a handful of fronds, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 Idaho or Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- A generous handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly grated Asiago or Grana Padano cheese, to pass at the table
- Crusty Italian bread, to pass at the table
In a large soup pot, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and brown for a couple of minutes. Add the onion, fennel, garlic and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine, stirring for about 2 minutes, then add the broth and cover and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat, adjust the seasonings and top the stoup with the chopped fennel fronds, basil and parsley. Pass around cheese and bread at the table.