1 1/3-1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders (the average weight of two packages)
- Salt and pepper
1 package pita bread (8 count)
- 1 ripe lemon, zested and juiced
3 tablespoon red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (4 stems), stripped of leaves and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 English (seedless) cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a couple of handfuls), chopped
Pre-heat a grill pan over high heat. Place the chicken in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper.
Pre-heat the oven to 275°F. Wrap the pita bread in foil. Place in the warm oven and heat until dinner is served.
Combine the lemon zest and juice and the vinegar in a bowl and whisk in the EVOO. Add the oregano and garlic and whisk again to combine into a dressing. Pour half of the dressing over the chicken tenders. Turn the tenders in the dressing to coat.
Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour the remaining dressing over the salad and toss well. The salad should be very lightly dressed. Season the salad with salt and pepper and transfer to a large serving platter.
Grill the tenders for 4-5 minutes on each side. Transfer the hot tenders to the salad-lined serving platter. Remove the pitas from oven and unwrap. Cut the pitas in half and arrange around the edge of the platter.
To serve, each person can pile grilled chicken and veggies into pita halves, wrap up on either side and enjoy!