- 1 package frozen spinach (10 ounces)
- 1 sack waffle-cut frozen fries
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, (a couple of palmfuls)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon coriander, (a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, (1/3 palmful)
- 2-3 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 cup feta crumbles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Hot pepper rings, sliced banana peppers, for sandwich garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 pita breads
Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
Defrost spinach in microwave.
Place fries in oven on a baking sheet.
Place lamb in a bowl. Add grill seasoning, 2 teaspoons cumin, chili powder, coriander, oregano, cinnamon and feta crumbles. Wring the spinach dry in a kitchen towel and add to lamb. Mix the lamb and form a long 3-inch roll on a baking sheet. Coat lamb with EVOO and bake 20 minutes.
Place fries and lamb in oven and roast 20 minutes.
Mix yogurt, a grated clove of garlic, cucumber, the juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Slice and reserve the tomatoes, cucumbers and drain hot peppers, chop and reserve.
In a small sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Add Worcestershire sauce and whisk in stock. Season gravy with salt and pepper and reduce 5 minutes.
Soften pita over open gas flame or under broiler.
Slice lamb loaf into 1/4-inch slices. Spread yogurt on pitas and top with a 2 slices of lamb, tomatoes, cucumbers and hot peppers. Serve 2 pitas per person. Serve fries with gravy for dipping alongside.