For the marinade:
- 1 cup orange juice
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 5 cloves, slivered
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 5 scallions, white parts only, chopped (reserve the green parts for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
For the vegetables:
- 4 medium zucchini (6 inches long)
- 4 medium yellow squash (6 inches long)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A 6-ounce block of Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 tablespoon honey, for drizzling
Blend all the marinade ingredients in a blender, or keep in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
Wash the zucchini and yellow squash and dry them. Split them lengthwise into two pieces, then place in a sealable plastic bag with the marinade and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pre-heat the barbecue or grill to medium heat.
Remove the zucchini and yellow squash from the bag and let them drain, discarding the marinade. Lightly pat with a paper towel, then toss them all in a bowl with the EVOO.
Grill the veggies cut-side down over medium heat for 5 minutes with the barbecue lid closed. Flip over and repeat.
Place the veggies on a platter, then season with the salt, pepper, shaved Pecorino Romano and chopped chives. Finish by drizzling with honey and garnish with the reserved scallion greens.