- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 10 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can hominy (15.5 ounces), drained
- 1/3 cup cilantro (a generous handful), chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 1/2 heart of romaine, shredded
In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pork and season with salt and pepper; add the cumin and allspice. Cook until brown and crumbly, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic and jalapeños.
Using a food processor, pulse the tomatillos until coarsely chopped, about a few seconds.
Stir the tomatillos into the pork, lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken stock and hominy and cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and turn off the heat.
Squeeze half of the lime over the pork; stir. Squeeze the other half of the lime over the avocado. Serve the pork in shallow bowls with the avocado, tortilla chips and lettuce on top.