- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds hot or sweet bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 medium-large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) or 1 can (28 ounces) crushed or diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Heat the EVOO in a deep skillet. Add the sausage and brown for a few minutes, then add the garlic, peppers and onions and cook until soft, 6-7 minutes more.
Deglaze the pan with a little vinegar, stir in the stock and tomatoes and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes more, then stir in the parsley and basil and serve with cheese on top.