- 1 sheet puff pastry (9-inch square), thawed but cold
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 baking potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 2 leeks, stems split, thinly sliced and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Roll out the puff pastry into a 12-inch square. Set aside four 2-cup bowls; invert one bowl onto the pastry and cut out four rounds. Place the rounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush with the egg. Sprinkle with the poppy seeds and bake until golden, 12 minutes. Let cool.
In a large saucepan, add the potatoes and enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, 7 minutes. Add the peas and cook for 1 minute; drain.
In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium heat. Add the chicken; season with salt and pepper and cook for 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO to the skillet. Add the leeks and carrot; season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 3 minutes.
Scoot the leeks to the side and add the butter. Whisk in the flour, then the wine and chicken stock. Stir in the chicken and cream and heat through. Stir in the lemon peel, lemon juice, potatoes and peas. Fill the bowls with the chicken mixture and top with the crust.