- 1 pound cavatappi, hollow corkscrew shaped pasta or other short cut pasta
- 2 slices rye bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus some for buttering toast
- A handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup spicy brown deli mustard, such as Gulden's brand
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 3/4 pound good quality deli corned beef, sliced as thick as bacon, chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente.
While the pasta cooks, toast the rye bread in the toaster, then butter the hot bread. Coarsely chop the bread and place in a food processor. Add the parsley and paprika to thebread and process into breadcrumbs; reserve.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat. Add the butter to the pot and melt. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then add the milk. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, thicken for 5-6 minutes, then stir in the mustard. Melt two-thirds of the combined cheeses into the sauce.
Pre-heat the broiler.
Drain the pasta and return it to the hot pot. Toss the hot pasta with the chopped meat and sauerkraut to combine, then stir in the cheese sauce and coat. Transfer the mac 'n cheese to a casserole dish and top with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Brown under the broiler for 3-4 minutes and serve.