- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 small red onion, grated and chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (a palmful)
- 3/4 pound brick sharp cheddar cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick into small squares
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large hearts of romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced pickles, drained and chopped – choose from sweet, half-sour or dill varieties
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. (You can also pre-heat a grill pan or a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or pre-heat an outdoor grill instead of the skillet).
While the pan is heating up, combine the meat with about 3 tablespoons of the grated red onion, the Worcestershire sauce and the grill and poultry seasonings (you may substitute salt and pepper for the grill and poultry seasonings). Form two-inch meatballs, then flatten them into patties. Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Cook the mini burgers for 3 minutes on each side, then top with cheese. Tent the mini cheeseburgers loosely with foil to help the cheese melt.
While the burgers are cooking, whisk together the mustard and cider vinegar in a large salad bowl. Continue whisking and stream in the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
Finely chop up the remaining red onion and add it to the bowl along with the romaine, pickles and tomatoes. Toss the salad to evenly coat everything in dressing.
To serve, arrange the salad on a large platter and slide the mini burgers on top.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.