- 8 cups chicken stock (64 ounces)
- 3/4 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley (a couple of generous handfuls), divided
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (a generous handful)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, chopped or crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup mint leaves (a generous handful), chopped
In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Lower the heat and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lamb, half of the parsley, breadcrumbs, feta, egg, garlic and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Form into 1-inch balls. Add to the simmering broth along with the orzo and cook for 8 minutes. Stir in the lemon peel, lemon juice, remaining parsley and the mint.