- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 rounded tablespoon mild curry paste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A handful cilantro leaves (3 tablespoons), finely chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt
- Packaged flat breads, sold near packages of pita bread at the grocery store.
Pre-heat grill pan or indoor electric grill to high.
Combine yogurt, curry paste, lemon juice and cilantro in a shallow dish. Add chunks of chicken and coat evenly in yogurt sauce. Lace meat onto metal skewers. When you are about 10 minutes away from eating, place chicken on hot grill and cook 5-6 minutes on each side, until charred at edges and chicken meat is firm.
Place a small, heavy skillet on stovetop over high heat. When pan is very hot, add whole tomatoes. Pan roast the tomatoes until charred on all sides. Place the tomato sauce and charred fresh tomatoes in a food processor.
Return skillet to heat and toast mustard, coriander seeds and crushed red pepper until they pop. Add seeds and flakes to food processor with a few pinches coarse salt. Pulse grind tomato mixture into a chunky chutney and transfer to a small bowl.
When you remove chicken from grill, add flat bread to blister it and warm it through.
Slide chicken off skewers on to a serving dish. Set bowl of tomato chutney with a serving spoon alongside. Pile chicken into or onto flat bread with tomato chutney to top. Potatoes with Cumin are a perfect side for this meal.