- 1-1 1/2 pounds rabe (1 large bunch)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- A few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1 loaf garlic bread, homemade or store-bought
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella or provolone cheese, thinly sliced
Heat a medium size pot with 2-3 quarts water to boiling. Chop the broccoli rabe tops into 1-inch pieces, discarding stems and any discolored leaves. Place the tops into the water and boil, 5 minutes. Drain well.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the EVOO, two turns around the pan, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes. When the garlic speaks by sizzling in the EVOO, add the broccoli rabe and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with a little salt, to taste.
Lightly brown the garlic bread under the broiler on a cookie sheet. Pile the greens across one half of the entire loaf. Top with cheese and place under the broiler to melt the cheese. Remove and replace the top half of the loaf. Cut the entire loaf into two big wedges.
Serve with a tomato and onion salad and a good bottle of Italian wine.