- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise, then sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 8 deli slices provolone cheese
- 4 sesame Kaiser rolls, split
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms, onion and peppers until tender, 7-8 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with stock.
Combine the sausage and sirloin with the grill seasoning, garlic and parsley. Mix and form four patties, thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking and to keep the burgers from bulging. Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 12 minutes, turning once, and top with the mushrooms, onion and peppers and two slices of cheese. Turn the heat off and cover the pan with foil to melt cheese, 2 minutes. Pile on buns and serve.