- 4 (8 to 10-ounce, 1-inch thick) sirloin strip steaks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (a palmful) ground Ancho chiles or dark chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (a palmful) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into 4 thick slices
- Extra-virgin olive or vegetable oil, to coat
- Salt and pepper
Let steaks rest from refrigerator for a few minutes to take the chill off.
Preheat grill pan or indoor electric grill to high heat. Combine spice rub ingredients: ground Ancho chile, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Rub spice blend into steaks.
Coat sliced red onion with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Grill steaks and onion slices 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Let meat stand 5 minutes for juices to redistribute. Season steaks with salt. Top with separated rings of red grilled onions. Serve with hot Cracked Cornbread and Cheese Squares and Mexican Salad.