- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breasts
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus a drizzle
- 4 slices deli-cut bacon or thick cut pancetta, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flour, for dredging plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped or 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- A few sprigs thyme, stripped and leaves chopped
- 1/3 pound wedge brie, cut into pieces
- Crusty, warm bread
In a large bowl, add the chicken, cover with wine, and set aside.
Quarter the potatoes, leaving the skin-on. Place in a large pot, cover with water and bring up to a boil over medium heat. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place in a medium bowl. Mash the potatoes, season with salt and set aside.
In a small pot, combine apple and cream and reduce over medium heat 15 minutes.
Drizzle EVOO in a large skillet over medium high heat, add the bacon and crisp 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
While bacon crisps, remove the chicken to a work surface, reserving the wine. Cut chicken into large bite-size pieces, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour then brown in bacon drippings. While chicken browns chop vegetables. Remove the chicken to a plate, then add 2 tablespoons EVOO to the skillet, season the vegetables with salt and pepper and add bay leaf and thyme. Cover pan to sweat vegetables 5 minutes then remove lid, stir in 2 tablespoons flour, cook 1 minute then stir in wine, add chicken back to pan and simmer together to thicken and the chicken is cooked through, a couple of minutes more.
To a food processor, add the apple-cream and brie, process until smooth and season with salt. Combine apple-brie mixture with the mashed potatoes.
Serve chicken with wine over brie mashed potatoes.