- 1 large beet, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick, or one can sliced beets (14.5-ounces), drained
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream, crème fraîche or Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 4 leaves red-leaf lettuce
In a medium saucepan, combine the beet and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, 10-12 minutes; drain.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, 1/3 cup parsley, the garlic and Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties and make a thumbprint in the center of each; coat the patties with the EVOO. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, 6-8 minutes for medium.
While the patties are cooking, crumble the goat cheese into a medium bowl. Add the sour cream, thyme, dill, lemon peel and the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Place the beef patties on the roll bottoms; top with the beet slices, goat cheese mixture, onion, lettuce and the roll tops.