- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small-medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon or 2 small Meyer lemons
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
- A handful basil tops, shredded or torn
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot, heat the stock and 2 cups water over medium-low heat.
In a risotto pot or large skillet with rounded bottom, heat the EVOO over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté to soften, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the rice and add the zest of lemon. Heat the rice a minute or two, then add the wine and cook to evaporate. Add in the stock a few ladles at a time and stir for a minute with each addition of stock to develop the starch and creamy aspect. Keep adding the stock each time pan starts to become dry at the edges. The total cooking time will be 18 minutes or so.
When the rice is cooked to al dente, stir in the butter, lemon juice, cheese and herbs. Serve immediately.