- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock (4 cups)
- 1 pound fresh cheese ravioli
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 2 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- A chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for shaving
- Crusty bread, for dunking
In a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid or a Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes burst and a thick sauce forms, 7-8 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the ravioli and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and wilt in the basil; stir in the scallions.
Serve the soup in shallow bowls and top with large shavings of the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Serve with crusty bread for dunking.