- 1 cup bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large dice
- 3 large carrots, cut into large dice
- 2 cups onions, chopped into medium dice
- 3-4 celery stalks, cut into large dice
- 1 bag Red Bliss potatoes (24 ounces), large ones cut in half
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 navel oranges, zested into strips
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped in one direction
- Toasted sliced almonds
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon, then remove to a slow cooker, reserving the fat in the skillet.
Brown the stew meat in the reserved bacon fat. Sprinkle with flour, then remove the meat and place into the slow cooker.
Add all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and give it a good stir. Place the lid on and cook for 4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.
Once the stew is done cooking, mix together the toppings in a small bowl and top each portion of stew for a pop of freshness.