- 5 yellow vine-ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 jarred pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
- A handful fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley leaves (2 tablespoons), chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Cut the tops off four tomatoes and trim a thin slice off the bottoms so that they will sit upright easily. Hollow out the tomatoes with a spoon over garbage bowl or sink. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Remove stem of remaining tomato. Seed and chop this tomato.
In a bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, pimentos, onions, zucchini, jalapeño, lemon juice, oregano and cilantro or parsley. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the bowl. Add two tablespoons EVOO, about two turns of the bowl, in a slow stream. Toss mixture to combine and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Fill the empty tomatoes with stuffing and serve.