- 3 cups beef stock (if using ground beef) or chicken stock (if using ground turkey)
- 2 ancho chili peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices lean smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin or ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- One can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed
- One can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded or crumbled extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
In a large saucepan, bring the beef stock and ancho chilis to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and puree.
Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add the beef, increase the heat to high and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the yellow onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes; season with pepper.
Stir the tomato paste into the chili for 1 minute. Stir in the ancho liquid, black beans, tomatoes, coffee, paprika, coriander, cocoa and cinnamon and simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt.
Serve the chili in shallow bowls. Top with the cheese and red onion.