- 12 ounces fettuccini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned or cut into matchsticks
- 2-3 small, firm eggplants (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into batons (Japanese eggplant may be substituted)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, rounded ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- A generous handful of basil leaves, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8-10 leaves green or red leaf lettuce, shredded
Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium heat. When boiling, salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until just shy of al dente.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and vegetables as you chop them, followed by the zucchini, eggplant and red pepper. Season the vegetables with salt, then cover and cook until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
Just before draining the pasta, add about 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid to the vegetables. Drain the pasta and add it to the vegetables, tossing to combine. Stir in the basil and the cheese and a little pepper, to taste.
Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and top with the shredded lettuce. Serve with an extra sprinkle of cheese and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of EVOO.