- 6 small kirby cucumbers, sliced on an angle or 1 large English (seedless) cucumber, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 small bunch scallions, cut into long, thin slices on an angle
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/4 cup dill leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
Layer the cucumbers, scallions, bay leaves, chili pepper and dill in a storage container with a tight-fitting lid.
In a small saucepan over low heat, add the sugar, rice wine vinegar and Tamari. Simmer until the sugar dissolves. Pour the hot brine into the cucumber mixture and cover with a lid. Let marinate for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.