- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices good quality white bread
- 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup combined with 1/3 cup stone ground mustard or 2/3 cup fig spread
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1 apple, such as Gala, Honeycrisp or McIntosh, very thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- A generous pinch of cinnamon
Spread the maple mustard or fig spread on the bread slices. Build four cheese and apple sandwiches.
Heat a griddle pan over medium heat.
Beat the eggs with the half-and-half or milk and season with nutmeg and cinnamon. Turn the sandwiches in the egg and cook in butter melted on the hot griddle pan. Grill the sandwiches until deeply golden and the cheese has melted.
Cut the sandwiches into triangles or four square pieces to serve.