- 3 ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups beef stock for beef chili or chicken stock for turkey chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground sirloin or turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 24 slider rolls or small dinner rolls, split
- Toppings: shredded cheese, chopped raw onions, chopped pickles
Heat the anchos in the stock in a pot over a low simmer to reconstitute them. Puree into a sauce in a food processor and reserve.
Heat the EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and crumble it into fine bits as it browns. Add the onion and garlic and cook to soften a few minutes more. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and paprika.
Stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce for the sloppy sauce. Pour the sloppy sauce and ancho sauce into a pot and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer to thicken and combine the flavors, 5 minutes. Serve with the soft slider rolls and toppings.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.