- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as wood ear, crimini, portobello and shitake), wiped clean, stemmed, if necessary, and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Sea salt and pepper
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cavolo nero (also called black, Tuscan, dinosaur or lacinato kale), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
On a large baking sheet, dress the mushrooms, garlic and thyme with 4 tablespoons EVOO and spread out. Roast the mushrooms for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and season with sea salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a pot, combine the sweet potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, season with sea salt and cook until fork-tender, 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot, then mash with the stock and milk or half-and-half. Season with sea salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Stir in the cheddar until melted.
While the potatoes are working, in a bowl, toss the kale with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with sea salt, pepper and a few grates of fresh nutmeg. Arrange the kale on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and roast until crisp at the edges, 10-12 minutes.
Combine the mushrooms and garlic with the kale and serve on a bed of sweet potatoes.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Bacon-Wrapped Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes with Green Onions
Half-and-Half Short Ribs with Escarole, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Parmigiano
Mole-Topped Sweet Potatoes
Fancy Fillet of Beef with Marsala Sauce, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans