- 1 1/4 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as shitake, porcini and crimini, wiped clean
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, very thinly sliced
- 1 bundle black kale, lacinato or dinosaur kale, washed, stripped and shredded or chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- About 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- About 1/2-2/3 cup cream
- Freshly grated Pecorino cheese
Stem and slice or coarsely chop the mushroom blend. Heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan and brown for 10 minutes, then add in the garlic, thyme, and sage. Stir for 2-3 minutes, then add the kale and cook until just wilted. Season with salt, pepper and a few grates of nutmeg. Stir for a few minutes more, then add in the Marsala and reduce the liquid by half, another minute or two. Add the cream to the mushrooms in the pan and reduce heat, let the flavors combine a few minutes and cream thickens.
Serve the mushroom dish garnished with a few grates of cheese.