- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1-2 Fresno chili peppers, seeded depending on heat tolerance, and finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, (EVOO) for drizzling
- Softened butter
- 12 slices good-quality white or Italian bread
- A couple handfuls of arugula or baby spinach leaves
- 12 slices deli-sliced sharp provolone
Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
Combine the meat, chili pepper, garlic, rosemary, parsley, salt, pepper and a little EVOO.
Form into six thin patties. Drizzle the patties with a little more EVOO and fry on the hot griddle for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat.
Lightly butter the bread. Build the patty melts, layering the bread (buttered sides facing out) with one slice of cheese, a few leaves of arugula, the patty, a second slice of cheese and finally another slice of bread.
Cook the patties on the griddle to melt the cheese, 2 minutes on each side. Cut the patty melts from corner to corner and serve immediately.