- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 round teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 round tablespoons sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or halved
- A few fresh bay leaves
- A small handful of fresh dill
- 1 Fresno chili pepper
- 1/4 red onion, chopped or sliced
- A few black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seed (half a palmful)
- 4 large kirby cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
In a medium size saucepot, bring the vinegar and water to a boil. Dissolve the salt and sugar and remove the pot from the heat.
In a Mason jar, layer in the garlic, bay leaves, dill, Fresno chili pepper, red onion, peppercorns, mustard seed, coriander seed and cucumbers. Top with the hot brine and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or up to a few weeks.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.