- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the toppings:
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Spray a a 8-inch x 8-inch x 2-inch metal baking pan with cooking spray. Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave and stir until smooth. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture, flour, and the peppermint and vanilla extracts and salt; stir until just blended.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly.
To make the toppings, beat the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, milk and peppermint extract in a mixing bowl until creamy. Spread over the warm brownies. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
Melt the chocolate and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the microwave and stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour over the mint topping, spreading evenly. Cover and chill until set, about 1 hour. Cut into 20 squares. Store in the refrigerator.