- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- A few stems of lemongrass, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 chili pepper, split
- 1 3-4-inch piece of fresh ginger root, divided
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 cups rainbow chard, thinly shredded and packed
In a saucepot, add the stock, water, lemongrass, garlic, chili pepper and a couple inches of thick-sliced ginger. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to simmer and cover, steeping the flavor into the broth for 5-6 minutes.
Strain the broth or skim out the flavorings with a slotted spoon. Reduce the heat to low and peel and slice the remaining 1 inch of ginger into thin matchsticks and stir into the clear broth. Beat the eggs, then swirl them slowly into the broth to create egg ribbons. Add the scallions and wilt in the chard.
Remove from the heat and immediately serve in bowls.