- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for brushing tortillas and drizzling
- 4 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, pasted or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle in adobo
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes with chilies (15 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1/3 pound chorizo or good-quality bacon, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (14 ounces)
- About 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 extra-large organic eggs
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- A small handful of cilantro leaves
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or other mild cheese, shredded
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Brush the corn tortillas with EVOO and season with a pinch of salt. Arrange the tortillas on a rack over a baking sheet. Bake to crispy and golden, 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of EVOO in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, chipotle, tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pot and bring to a bubble. Reduce the heat to medium and let the sauce thicken for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
Add a drizzle of EVOO to a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo or bacon and brown. Add the beans and season with cumin. Reduce the heat to low.
Add a drizzle of EVOO to a nonstick skillet or griddle pan. Add 4 eggs and cook to order – sunny, over-easy or fried.
Dress the diced avocado with lime juice.
To serve, place a crispy tortilla on plate, top with black beans and pour the red sauce over the beans in a thin, even layer. Top with an egg and arrange the avocado pieces around the dish. Sprinkle with cilantro and queso fresco. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve.