- 1 bulb garlic, cloves separated
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 loaf Italian bread with sesame seeds, split
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried marjoram
Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Simmer the garlic cloves in their skins in a small pot of water over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Drain, then squeeze the garlic from the skins and mash into a paste with a fork. Mix the garlic into the softened butter.
Meanwhile, toast the bread in the oven. Slather with the garlic butter and top with the cheeses and herbs. Turn on the broiler and place the bread back in the oven to brown the cheese.