- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound fettuccine, regular or whole wheat
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- 1/3-1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons butter and melt until it foams. Add the mushrooms and brown for about 12 minutes, until golden. Add the shallots and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Stir for 3 minutes more; sprinkle in the flour, then add the Marsala and reduce for 1 minute. Add the stock and cream and simmer to thicken for a couple minutes more.
Meanwhile, in a medium size skillet, melt the remaining butter into the remaining EVOO. Add breadcrumbs and garlic and brown until nutty and fragrant. Remove from the heat, let cool for a couple of minutes, then add the cheese and parsley and season with black pepper.
When you add the shallots to the mushrooms, drop the fettuccine and cook to al dente, 8-9 minutes. Reserve a little of the starchy cooking water; drain, toss with the sauce and serve topped with breadcrumbs.