- 1 1/4 cups ground turkey breast
- 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup cilantro (about a handful), chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/4 cup store-bought chipotle salsa
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 2 large handfuls red corn chips, crushed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
In a bowl, combine the ground turkey, cheese, cilantro, chili powder, grill seasoning and cumin. Grate the red onion directly over the meat. Grating the onion gives the patties added moisture. Add hot sauce, if using.
Score the meat into four equal portions with the side of your hand, then form each portion into 1-inch thick patties. Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Cook patties 6-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
While the burgers are cooking, make the dressing: place the chipotle salsa in a food processor, blender or small bowl along with the lime juice. Slowly drizzle the remaining EVOO as the machine runs or as you whisk by hand.
In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, crushed corn chips and tomatoes, drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, divide the salad between four serving plates and top each one with a burger and dressing.