- 1 cup freshly shelled peas
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 pound uncured bacon or pancetta, chopped or sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced or chopped
- 4 spring onions with green tops or 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley tops, finely chopped
- 3 organic egg yolks
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Grana Padano cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Simmer the peas in salted water for 5 minutes; drain and reserve.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta; add salt and cook the pasta to al dente.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons EVOO, three turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon or pancetta and render to crisp. Add lots of pepper, garlic and the whites of the onions and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and zest.
When the pasta is about done, reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water. Add another 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking water to the egg yolks and beat to temper the eggs.
Add the onion greens and parsley to sauce. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Pour the eggs over top and add half of the cheeses; toss for 1-2 minutes to combine (use a little starchy cooking water if pasta tightens up too much before glossy coating forms). Top with the remaining cheese and serve immediately.