- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound linguine
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small poblano chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or Mexican crema
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- Fresh thyme, finely chopped, for garnish
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for passing around the table (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook it to al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a medium size saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the poblano, onion and garlic and cook until softened, 7-8 minutes. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat the creme fraiche (or crema) over medium heat. Whisk the warm cream into the poblano sauce. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until very smooth; season with salt.
In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until firm and pink; season with salt and pepper. Add the pasta and poblano sauce to the shrimp; toss well. Sprinkle the thyme on top. Pass the cheese at the table, if desired.