- 1 package yellow cake mix (18-19 ounces)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 package reduced-fat cream cheese (8 ounces), softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 roll red-colored rolled fruit snack (from a 4.5-ounce box)
Note: You will need 24 two-and-a-half-inch aluminum or paper muffin liners to prepare this recipe.
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix with the applesauce, egg whites and 1 1/4 cups water for 30 seconds on low speed, then 2 minutes on medium speed.
Spoon the batter into 24 two-and-a-half-inch aluminum or paper muffin liners.
Evenly divide 1 cup of blueberries onto the tops of batter. Do not stir.
Bake the cupcakes, following the package directions.
Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Spoon onto the cooled cupcakes. Spread to the edges.
Unroll the fruit snack and, with a sharp knife, cut into strips 1/8-inch wide by 2 inches long.
On half of each cupcake, arrange the strips, trimming each to fit. Arrange the remaining 2 cups blueberries on the frosting on the other halves of the cupcakes, about 10 blueberries per cupcake.