- 1 can Italian tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- a few leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground beef, pork and veal mix
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 loaf ciabatta, split lenghwise (12-14 inches)
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or mild provolone
Pre-heat oven to 400°. In a food processor, puree the tomatoes, onion, garlic, 2 tbsp EVOO, the basil and oregano (or marjoram);season with salt and pepper. Place in a large saucepan, bring to a bubble, then lower the heat to simmer and thicken for 15 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the meat, crumble and brown; season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, parmigiano and parsley.
Place the bread on a baking sheet. Top each half with some of the meat and tomato sauce; dollop with ricotta mixture and sprinkle with the mozarella (or provolone). Bake until melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Cut into large chunks to serve.