- About 1/3 cup soy sauce or Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 1/3 cup apple juice
- Juice of 4 limes
- About 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon coriander (a scant palmful)
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6-8 thin scallions (a small bunch), whites and greens chopped
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, cracked from skins and grated or pasted
- 6-8 Scotch bonnet chili peppers or habanero peppers, seeds and ribs removed if less heat is preferred
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken legs, thighs and split breasts
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2-3 scallions, sliced, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
In a food processor or blender. combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, apple juice, lime juice, canola oil, paprika, allspice, coriander, thyme, cumin, cinnamon, chopped scallions, shallots, garlic, chili peppers and ginger and process into a smooth sauce. Reserve a third of the sauce for dipping and drizzling. Place the remaining sauce in a large reasealable plastic bag and add the bay leaves.
Pat the chicken dry and season with kosher salt and lots of coarse black pepper. Add the chicken to the bag and rub the sauce into the chicken, using the bag to protect your hands. Marinate the chicken for 1-2 days.
Bring the chicken to room temperature before cooking, 45-60 minutes.
Prepare a grill with woodchips to medium-low heat or heat a grill pan to medium-low. Grill the chicken skin-side up, covered, or under a foil tent, for 20 minutes. Flip and cook for 15 minutes more, turning occasionally, for 35 minutes total or until a thermometer reads an internal temperature of 160°F.
Let stand for a few minutes and serve with extra sauce for spooning at the table. Top with sliced scallions and serve with lime wedges on the side.