- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, if desired
- 32 ounces safflower, canola or sunflower oil for frying
- 1 lemon
Combine the smoked paprika, granulated garlic and onion and poultry seasoning in a small bowl. Season the tenders with salt and pepper. Add half of the spices to the buttermilk in a shallow dish. Combine the remaining spices with the flour and poppy seeds, in a second dish.
Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium to medium-high heat, about 350°F.
Using tongs, dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then the flour and repeat. Add the breaded tenders to the hot oil; do not crowd the pan. Cook the fingers in batches to a deep golden color, about 8 minutes per batch. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve warm or at room temperature with wedges of lemon to squeeze on top.