- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bottle beer (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups leftover gravy
- 2 cans black beans (15 ounces each), drained
- 5-6 cups leftover roast pork, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 cups crushed yellow or white corn tortilla chips
- Sour cream for garnish
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. Add the onions, garlic, red bell pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes, until the veggies start to get tender.
Add the beer and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Add leftover gravy and black beans and bring up to a simmer. Add the cooked pork and cook to heat the pieces through, just a couple of minutes.
Serve the chili in bowls and top with some of the crushed tortillas, lime zest and a dollop of sour cream.