- 16 Homemade Pickle Chips or thick-sliced garlic deli pickles
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek-style yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs (such as dill, chives and parsley), chopped
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
Pat the pickle chips dry. Place the flour and eggs in separate shallow dishes; combine the panko and cornmeal in a third dish. Coat the pickles first in the flour, then the egg, then the panko mixture.
In a large skillet, heat a shallow layer of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the pickles and fry, turning once, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Make the dipper: In a small serving bowl, combine the sour cream (or yogurt), lemon juice, herbs, vinegar, garlic and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Serve alongside the fried pickle chips for dipping.