- 1 delicata squash
- About 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- About 1 cup Ritz crackers (1/2 sleeve), ground into crumbs in a food processor
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- A few tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cut off each end of the squash and, using a spoon, hollow out the seeds from each end. Thinly the squash slice into rings 1/8-inch thick – as thin as possible. Salt and drain the rings for a few minutes on paper towels.
Set up the breading station: one dish with the flour, one with the eggs beaten with milk and another with the Ritz crumbs mixed with the panko, parm and parsley.
In a large skillet, heat a shallow layer of olive oil (about 1/4 inch) over medium to medium-high heat.
Coat the rings in the flour, then the egg, then the crumbs and fry in batches to golden and very crisp. Drain on a metal rack.