- Flour, for dusting
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- A few grates of whole nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- For garnish, sweet or sweet-and-spicy candied pecans, chopped
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
Lightly flour a work surface. Unroll the pie dough and scatter grated cheese over the dough. Lightly flour a rolling pin, then roll the cheese into the dough. Fill a 9-inch pie plate or tin with the dough, cheese-side down. Using your fingers, crimp the pie dough overhang along the edge of the pie plate in a decorative scalloped fashion.
For the filling, combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl using a whisk. Pour the filling into the prepared pie plate and spread out evenly. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center is clean when removed. Remove the pie and cool to room temperature.
Slice and serve garnished with candied chopped pecans.