- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (a scant palmful)
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice (half a palmful)
- About 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ground red pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- About 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Olive oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups pearled barley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Swiss cheese (about 3/4 pound brick), grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
Pre-heat the oven to 450ºF.
In a mixing bowl, combine the beef and pork with the Kosher salt, spices, egg, breadcrumbs and parsley. Roll and arrange the meat mixture into 2-inch meatballs on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake to lightly brown, 10-12 minutes, then remove.
Bring a medium size pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the barley to tender, 20 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions; season with salt and pepper and cook to golden in color and sweet, 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
In a casserole, combine the barley, onions and sauerkraut. Top with Swiss cheese and arrange the meatballs in the casserole. Cool and cover for make-ahead meal.
Combine the sour cream with the ketchup, relish, salt and pepper and store in a plastic food storage bag.
To prepare, bring the casserole to room temperature. Bake at 350ºF until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot through. Cut the corner of the baggie and drizzle the dressing over the casserole, then serve.